The Bombay High Court has said that the state government has not violated any of the plea of actor Sanjay Dutt, who had been sentenced to life imprisonment in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
Sanjay Dutt was released by the state government for eight months. Pradeep Bhalekar, a resident of Pune, filed a public interest petition at the Bombay High Court challenging this. Sanjay Dutt, a judge of the High Court division bench of Justice SS Bharti and Bharti Dangre, had earlier ordered that the state government not make any violations in the release of Sanjay Dutt.
No errors were found in the documents submitted by the State Home department and the State Government. The division bench said that it has not been found to be a misuse or breach of discretionary powers.
On July 31, 2007, Dada was convicted by the TADA court in Mumbai for six years in prison and sentenced him to 25,000 in jail on charges of illegally arming the case.
The Supreme Court had upheld the sentence of Sanjay Dutt’s appeal against the verdict in 2013. But the sentence was reduced to 5 years. In 2013, Dutt was given 90 days of parole while he was being punished. Then it was extended for 30 days.